Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Review:The Archived by Victoria Schwab

10929432

Publisher: Hyperion
Source: Purchased
Pages: 328
Series: The Archived #1
Release Date: January 22, 2013




Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books.

Each body has a story to tell, a life seen in pictures that only Librarians can read. The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive.

Da first brought Mackenzie Bishop here four years ago, when she was twelve years old, frightened but determined to prove herself. Now Da is dead, and Mac has grown into what she once was, a ruthless Keeper, tasked with stopping often—violent Histories from waking up and getting out. Because of her job, she lies to the people she loves, and she knows fear for what it is: a useful tool for staying alive.

Being a Keeper isn’t just dangerous—it’s a constant reminder of those Mac has lost. Da’s death was hard enough, but now her little brother is gone too. Mac starts to wonder about the boundary between living and dying, sleeping and waking. In the Archive, the dead must never be disturbed. And yet, someone is deliberately altering Histories, erasing essential chapters. Unless Mac can piece together what remains, the Archive itself might crumble and fall.

In this haunting, richly imagined novel, Victoria Schwab reveals the thin lines between past and present, love and pain, trust and deceit, unbearable loss and hard-won redemption.



So, I wasn't planning on reading this book. I really wasn't. But I kept hearing such awesome things about it, plus Jesse (from JesseTheReader) kept raving about this book/series. I finally gave in and decided to give it a try. Lets just say that I am VERY glad that I did.I really enjoyed this book a lot!

I thought that Mackenzie was such an awesome main character. She was smart and also brave. Not to mention, strong. She had her issues and some flaws, but she was also a character that was easily to relate to and easy to like. She was forced to lie constantly which meant that she had to deal with a lot, if not all, of her problems on her own. It's no wonder that she had such a hard time letting people into her life. When someone finally comes into her life, Wesley, that she can trust to understand everything that she is going through and dealing with, it's a huge relief for her. Mackenzie was one of those characters that you kind of envy because of how strong minded she is. She did whatever it took to make sure that she got the job done but she also tried her best to make sure that she lived as normal of a life as she could. I thought that she developed in a very important way in this book as well. She had to learn that it is okay to let down those walls and let people in.

I also really liked that this book didn't really have any romance in it. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE a good romance in a book. But this book, it didn't need need romance in it.I think that if it had romance in it, it wouldn't have been as good. Sure there was some chemistry between Mackenzie and Wesley and then with her and Owen, but I wouldn't really call either one a "romance". 

Speaking of Wesley... I really liked him as a character. I thought that he was so sweet and so funny. I loved how he couldn't get mad at Mackenzie. I'm pretty sure that was because he knew what she was dealing with and going through so he understood. I loved how he could make her laugh when she really needed it. I loved how he didn't care what people thought when it came to his appearance. He was gonna dress exactly how he wanted. And the fact that he fought through his area in the Narrows to get to Mackenzie's area to help her all because she was his partner and he didn't want to let her down. SO CUTE.

Overall, I thought that this book was beautifully written and I loved it so much. I cannot wait to pick up the sequel to see what happens next. Victoria Schwab, you are a genius!






No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com