Monday, April 21, 2014

Review: The Program by Suzanne Young


Publisher: Simon Pulse
Source: Borrowed from Library
Pages: 405
Series: The Program #1
Release Date: April 30, 2013





In Sloane’s world, true feelings are forbidden, teen suicide is an epidemic, and the only solution is The Program.


Sloane knows better than to cry in front of anyone. With suicide now an international epidemic, one outburst could land her in The Program, the only proven course of treatment. Sloane’s parents have already lost one child; Sloane knows they’ll do anything to keep her alive. She also knows that everyone who’s been through The Program returns as a blank slate. Because their depression is gone—but so are their memories.

Under constant surveillance at home and at school, Sloane puts on a brave face and keeps her feelings buried as deep as she can. The only person Sloane can be herself with is James. He’s promised to keep them both safe and out of treatment, and Sloane knows their love is strong enough to withstand anything. But despite the promises they made to each other, it’s getting harder to hide the truth. They are both growing weaker. Depression is setting in. And The Program is coming for them.




I loved this book so much. SO so much. When I first started reading it, it kind of made me angry. Being someone who fights depressed every single day, I didn't like the fact that they said that suicide was contagious. I don't think this is true AT ALL. I also feel like the struggle with depression wasn't portrayed in the right way. When you are dealing with something like this, you are going to need medication, doctors, therapy, ect. Depression isn't something where it can be fixed just by erasing the bad moments out of a persons life and memories. I'm not going to go on my rant about this whole situation, just remember that that is one aspect of this book that I did not like.

I loved the idea of this book. I think that it ties well in the world we live in today. There are so many kids now days who are getting bullied and that are dealing with depression. There are so many kids that truly believe that suicide is the answer. I think that this book really shows that things like this could one day be really bad. 

The way that Young wrote this book, you feel as immediate connection with Sloane. There is no other book that is like this one. The storytelling is done so effortlessly that you are able to lose yourself in this book within minutes. Thinking about the idea of this book and The Program is really scary. Also, knowing that I suffer with depression makes things even scarier because I would be one of the people who would have to be a part of this whole epidemic. 

Sloane is a really awesome character and I loved her. I felt for her all throughout the book. So many bad things are happening to her and she is trying her best to stay strong. She is a fighter, that's for sure. Her being so strong is one of the main reasons why she was such an amazing character. 

Sometimes I think that some books overplay the romance. However, I loved the romance in this book. James and Sloane.. JAMES. Seriously, you can't help but love him. The way that he was portrayed, he seemed like a very likable guy with a sexy attitude. But when he was around Sloane, you could tell that he was absolutely in love.

There were parts of this book that would make me so angry, but for the most part, I needed to read more. And then the book ended.. And man oh man, that ending was crazy! I was desperate for more. I NEEDED the second book. This is a book you should really give a try. Some may not want to read it because it can be a touchy subject for some. However this book isn't just about depression and suicide, but also about hope. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com